The benefits of pineapple for IVF

Cut into shell before eating. Don't be a hero.

Cut into shell before eating. Don't be a hero.

When I was going through my IVF protocol, my doctor suggested I develop a sweet tooth for PINEAPPLE.  Yes, pineapple!  (I only had pineapple in my cocktails prior to that.  Not kidding.)

Supposedly, eating pineapple starting on the transfer date will increase the chances of a success.  Sticky beans!  Baby dust!

FRESH pineapple.  And the fruit closest to the core.  So you have to crack that thang open and start slicing.

Pineapple is a bromeliad fruit and contains the enzyme that breaks down protein. And there may be some proteins in the uterus inhibiting the embryos from “sticking.”

This could be an old wive’s tale or a myth but I had my fresh pineapple (about a cup a day) and now I am obviously knocked up (swollen ankles!)  My doctor told me there is no concrete proof it works either but it could lend an edge to the whole procedure.

I stored my pineapples on the kitchen counter and NOT in the refrigerator.  Stays fresher.   And I ate it for three days – starting on the transfer date.

My remaining fruit?  Funnily enough, I used it as a meat tenderizer.   Which sorta makes sense as it broke down the protein in the meat.  Which is what might have been happening in my uterus.  Which is probably why, months later, all I want to do is eat cheeseburgers all day.

Hmmmm.

11 Responses to The benefits of pineapple for IVF

1. Pineapple Man September 9, 2010 at 8:31 am #

I read that pregnant women should avoid pineapple…I thought that’s a myths. Didn’t know that the doctors are actually recommending pineapple on the transfer date

2. Hopefullyamomsoon November 22, 2010 at 6:58 pm #

My acupuncturist recommended it & I’ve tried it once so far during an IVF cycle. No luck so far but I will continue to try it with each attempt. I bought cut up fresh pineapple and ate a few pieces every 3 hours. My reasoning was that, because it takes approx. 2 hours to digest food, the pinapple would always be going into my system, and therefore always available to the little embryos trying to attach. If I am going to try this, I might as well do it right!

For the next cycle I also bought pineapple juice. I started thinking about how body builders wake up in the middle of the night to eat protein. Perhaps I should drink the juice (& then rinse my mouth out with water) if I get up at night? (It would be easier than having to brush & floss after eating the fruit itself.) This is how I loose my mind after so many months of trying to conceive, ha ha!

3. D_sanier May 10, 2011 at 5:54 pm #

Seriously, but in my country, pineaple should not be eaten for woman esspecially for those who are pregnant… Really!!!???!!!

4. Kerryo June 20, 2011 at 9:03 pm #

This is fascinating – I craved pineapple throughout my 2nd pregnancy (after miscarrying with my first one). Maybe it helped my little girl ‘stick’ – no idea. But she stuck and is now 4 – many blessings to everyone posting here and to you, Beth. Just knowing we’re not alone in this is a huge comfort. I am just starting the process of IVF (fortunately did not have to go through this for my daughter). Am scared, faced with big questions and possibly big let-downs, but your blog is cheering me up 🙂

5. Goodluck July 15, 2011 at 9:26 am #

Heard many ppl say that pineapple should not be
    Eaten during pregnancy.

6. Candy October 23, 2015 at 4:29 pm #

Some articles say that eating pineapple (including its core) from the day of embryon transfer helps to boost implatation. Stop it when we know the pregnancy result.

7. Candy October 23, 2015 at 4:37 pm #

Some says eat it for 5 days starting from the embryos transfer day.

8. Candy October 23, 2015 at 4:50 pm #

FYI:

I’m sorry for the unsure information saying that stop eating pineapple when we know the pregnancy result. It should be earlier.

9. gauteng August 11, 2016 at 7:37 am #

I used Pine apple (including core) and wallnuts during the transfer an it went well. my baby is now 1 year 6 months

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. June/July IVFers - Week of June 6 - Page 5 - Fertile Thoughts - June 7, 2010

[…] – here's the blog link: The Benefits of Pineapple for IVF __________________ 35YO, DH 38YO Diagnosis: Male Factor 2004 – 05 IUIs #1 – 3: 3 BFN 2006 […]

2. August Cycle Buddy Group, Week Ending August 19 - IVF & High Tech Forums - August 15, 2012

[…] pineapple theory after ET. Any opinions? Walnut and Pineapples for implantation – IVF.ca Forums The Benefits of Pineapple for IVF DO'S AND DONT'S DURING CYCLING – IVF.ca […]